Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Camp Katrina Here We Come

2 1/2 more hours and couting before we get in our little (I mean that literally) vehicles and drive, drive, drive to Waveland, Mississippi. We'll stop tonight in Huntsville, Alabama, before driving another six hours to our destination.

Serving in this way is a privelege, I believe. Some of the best times of my life have been spent in trips like these - digging out homes flooded by the Mississippi River - a weekend spent in inner city Chicago - clean up weekend in Indianapolis. All of those events stand out as highlights of my life. So when someone says "that's a really nice thing to do" when they hear about the trip, I really think to myself "I feel so fortuntate to be able to leave my family for a week and be a part of this. It is a privelege." Because often God calls us to serve him in the mundane. When we are a part of something like a work or missions trip, we are able to feel that we are tangibly making a difference. It's harder to see if/when we are making a difference when we are entangled in the every day to-dos of life - working 8-5, cleaning, grocery shopping, yard work, taking care of kids, yadadada. Yet I believe our daily work is a very important part of what God calls us to do. Our daily work builds our character (Romans 5:3-5). Trips like this one encourage us, build us up, and recharge us away from the character building drill camp of daily life God's been taking us through for however long.

So please rejoice with us! We are leaving on an adventure today and we are so excited to do so. I'll try to update this blog everyday. Today it was just my thoughts since I'm sitting in my home alone as I write this. But ongoing, this blog will contain the thoughts of all the trip members.

Prayer request of the day:
Safe traveling

Psalm 4:8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home