Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Result of My Experiment

I decided to try the experiment of "losing my life in order to gain it" for a couple weeks. It's been an interesting experiment. It hasn't been easy - it's been rather painful. The painful part of it has been setting aside my own to-do list for the interests of my husband and children. But what I've discovered is that I'm all about doing and not about being.

I don't want to be all about doing. A little bit of doing is ok, but not when it gets in the way of being.

"Being" means that you don't have to accomplish x, y, z on your list in order to live a fulfilled life.

"Being" means that your stress level doesn't rise 100% and your ears don't turn red when someone interferes with your to-do list execution.

"Being" means that you can enjoy being with your children just because you are with them - not because you are training them for Major League Soccer, or the 2020 Miss America pageant.

I've always had a million things on my to-do list. Here's my current to-do list:
1. Full time job and its million to-dos.
2. Get passport photo. Apply for passport.
3. Strip wallpaper in daugter's room. Paint and redecorate before she returns from trip with grandparents.
4. Order new items for gift shop at coffee house. Inventory new items. Bar code, price and display new items.
5. Create online shopping web site for coffee house.
6. Create web site for CRAVE and for band.
7. Create newsletter for CRAVE.

And those are just the things I want to get done this week.

Nowhere on my to-do list is reading to my children, going for a walk with my family and watching the sunset. I try to squeeze those intangible goals in between the lines of my very tangible to-do list. What sense does that make?

Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. Many of us, myself included, have to work. So when I work, I try to do it with my whole self and work diligently. Yet, most of the items on my above task list are voluntarily. They are there because I have some internal voice in my head saying, "If you don't accomplish something important, what good are you?" Of course, rationally I know that everyone has worth regardless of accomplishment. But my irrational self still motivates my rational self to take on tasks in order to feed its irrational need for self-identity through accomplishment.

I am still somewhere embracing the lie that my life needs to read as a Who's Who in order to have made it. But the Wise Man who told me to lose my life in order to gain it said that precisely because He knew that lie existed.

So my experiment is still going on. The lie is exposed and I'm attempting to internalize the truth.
My first step is to trash my cursed to-do list.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things I've learned to do better with age are delegate and say "no" (or eliminate). Maybe there are some things around the house you can delegate to the kids. This gives them some responsibility and takes the pressure off of you.

Also, here's a link I found with useful tips on what/how to delegate at work: http://www.getmoredone.com/tips9.html

Additionally, saying "no" is something men are very good at, yet woman really struggle with. We habitually over-volunteer ourselves!! However, practice makes perfect, so give it a try. Examples: "No, I can't volunteer to do xyz right now because my plate is really full. Check back with me in the fall."

Plus, sometimes you have to schedule time for fun and relaxation and I don't see that on your to-do list. ;-)

2:38 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, you picked about the hardest experiment I could think of to try to accomplish. I have the exact same problem with feeling a need to do something with a tangible result rather than "do" sitting on the floor playing with blocks or watching the sunset or blah blah blah. I know that those things are the more important things, but it's so, so hard to squelch that inner voice telling you you're being lazy if you can't say, "Ta da! Look what I did today."
So I'm going to try the experiment, slowly. My first part of it will be to retrain my eye when I look at the house. Instead of seeing toys all over the floor, I want to see the fact that my child has been having fun! Instead of dishes in the sink, I want to see the fact that I chose to play a game with my husband instead.

4:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

11:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home