Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What To Do With Gifted Kids?

There is a debate going on in Ohio right now regarding funding for gifted education (as well as extending the school year 4 weeks, which is an idea I see NO VALUE in). This article in Newsweek, written by a mom from Beavercreek, Ohio, who has both a gifted child and an autistic child, asks whether or not we should make gifted education a priority: "My [gifted] daughter has the potential for much more. If she were given even a fraction of the customized education that my [autistic] son receives, she could learn the skills needed to prevent the next worldwide flu pandemic, or invent a new form of nonpolluting transportation. Perhaps she could even discover a cure for autism."

I think a voucher program could be a good solution, because we could choose schools that are best for our kids. For example, the school my gifted daughter is at now, is good for her ability. My ADHD son would be better served at the private school he went to last year that we didn't fit into our budget this year.

By the way, "gifted" is a (poorly chosen) title that means that the child has advanced academic ability. For some reason that's the standard label in education. Really it means that a child is very skilled in academics - usually the top 1-5% in standardized testing. The "gifted" term can also include kids very skilled in art or music, although schools often don't identify those children.

Ironically, there are more programs for kids who have advanced skills in sports than those who are advanced in academics. I think our society would be better served by giving academically skilled kids at least the same amount of training and resources we give athletically skilled kids.

Argggh, the government... good intentions, but often atrocious success records. If only it had to be accountable to its customers, and the customers only had to pay for services rendered. But that, my friend, would land the discerning government "customer" in jail for tax evasion.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Don't even get me started on the sports vs. education thing! In my opinion, sports has no part in school, period. School should be about academics and academics only. Sports are fine, just make them a SEPARATE community program, not tied into school. I think it would be more efficient and would help with some of the social hierarchy that goes on in schools, a place where unfortunately it is not always that important (to one's peers) to get good grades but IS important to perform well on the field.
Blah. I'm rambling incoherently because this topic gets me very worked up! But yeah. Academically gifted kids definitely deserve more attention, special programs, etc. than kids who are gifted AT SPORTS. Which skill has more lasting value, people?

1:42 PM

 
Blogger Brett_in_Deutschland said...

Public education will always be dominated by social norms and tradition. Luckily, kids are creative and crafty enough to develop in their own way.

4:50 PM

 
Blogger Musings of a Mom said...

Good point b, I shouldn't be so up in arms about it. I know she'll be fine! If we all worked to our potential all the time we'd be exhausted.

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Katy said...

People are more concerned with sports because they bring in the big bucks. I actually think that sports have HURT public schools, but luckily no one is asking me.

My hubbby was in the gifted program at his public high school and tells me that the word "inclusion" struck fear in his very core.

11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Rachel said...

I agree with "desperate housewife". Sports and academics are both great but they should be seprate.Like "Bird" said sports did hurt schools.I know because I'm 4th grade.When ever we have gym or they get news about baseball or something the go crazy!Not literly, but then when we have to do like 4 problems they start grunting and being all "man!!"

5:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home