Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pickens Plan

I’m going to get on a high horse for a minute and preach. Don’t get mad at me. If you don’t like what I have to say, then you are allowed to preach at me. It’s ok, I won’t take offense. So please don’t take offense at me.

The reason we are mired in this gasoline/oil mess is because we are cheap.

Yes, you heard me, we are cheap. We are governed by our pocket books. THIS IS WRONG!

I WANT the gas prices to stay high, because that seems to be the only way anything is going to change in this country. We can’t blame the politicians, the Arabians, or even the environmentalists. We can only blame ourselves. We have sold our freedom to the highest bidder, and the highest bidder was the Middle East.

We don’t buy the hybrid cars because they are “too expensive.” We don’t install solar panels because they are “too expensive.” We don’t invest in wind mills because they are “too expensive.” Too expensive, you say? How much is the price of our freedom? How much is the price of our air?

This past year has seen a surge of innovation in alternative energy, and you know why that is? Because we had to pay $4/ gallon in gas and that was the only thing that would motivate us to change.

So let’s not lobby for cheaper gas prices, let’s lobby for a better way of life. Pull out your pocket book and buy a solar cell phone charger. It will be a first step in energy that is better for our environment and our freedom. Sign up for Picken’s Plan or some other energy alternative plan, then put your money where your mouth is.

I’m just as guilty as you. I’ve been giving my money to the cheapest bidder. But I want to change. I’m fixing up my bicycle (with my dad’s help – thanks dad!). I want to start riding my bike to work when possible. I’m asking for a solar cell phone/ laptop charger for Christmas. I’m buying energy efficient appliances. I’m very hopeful that I can install solar panels on my house (that’s a ways away though). I don’t want them to drill for oil in Alaska because that will take the pressure off the consumer to make wiser choices with their dollars.

You probably don’t like me right now, but that’s ok. That’s a small price to pay for freedom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Irish Blue said...

I love you! Great post and you are sooooo right. We've sold out - our freedom and our liberty. Still, I believe in us no matter how screwed up we are. We've made a lot of major comebacks and we are waking up - slowly but surely.

(I'm glad I have insomnia, or I might have missed this gem. ;-)

1:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home