Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

“Ritalin Is Not The Answer”

I picked up this book at the library a couple months ago. When my son was diagnosed with ADHD, I wanted to read everything I could about it. However, I kept avoiding that book because I was afraid it would preach at me. I really don’t like to be preached at. But the last time I was at the library, I felt a little voice tell me to grab it, and so I did.

Once I started reading it, I couldn’t put it down. It was as if the author could read my mind and all the little worries and questions I had about ADHD and lay them bare before me.

The author, David Stein, started out talking about Ritalin and other ADHD drugs. He stated that these drugs are stimulants, similar to cocaine, and we don’t know why they help like they do. So he argued, why would we give our children potent drugs when we don’t know why they help? Why indeed?

Then he talked about some of the causes of ADHD. He believes that the reason we’ve seen such a rise in the numbers of kids diagnosed as ADHD is because we are distracted. Ouch, that hurt. Especially since I noticed that whenever my family has a “normal” week in which we are in our daily routine, my son does much better at behaving in school. When we have a crazy week in which we are running from activity to activity, my son acts up in school. Hmm, is there a pattern there?

Granted, my other children can stand crazy weeks and normal weeks without becoming behavioral problems, true. But all that tells me is that my son is sensitive, and instead of giving my sensitive son drugs, wouldn’t it be better for me to alter my family’s routine? Some food for thought there.

Another point he makes, and this is one that has bothered me before, is that if five or more percent of children are ADHD, how is that a disease? That high of a number would indicate that such behavior is normal. YES, I shouted in my mind, IT WOULD, WOULDN’T IT! So maybe instead of changing my son, I should change the way I am relating to him.

So he lays out a discipline plan that I’ve been trying. Very simply put, it is this: when I see any little discipline issue, I immediately tell my child “Go to timeout.” My child then needs to stay there until he calms down, a minimum of 10 minutes. He must not do anything during this time but stare at the wall, quietly. This must be done at the first sign of any bad behavior - with no warning! And it must be consistant. When he is done with timeout, I should ask him “Why were you in timeout?” and he needs to be able to tell me with no prompting on my part. If he can’t tell me, back in the chair. The reason for this, the author says, is that we have to prompt our ADHD kids to think before they do. That is a lot of their problem, he says. They don’t think, and therefore, they get into trouble. Forcing them to remember why they got in trouble will help them to process it in their mind.

So we’ve been doing this, and it really has helped! Ironically, my ADHD son gets it more than my other laid back son! He will go immediately to the chair and sit quietly, while my other son writhes and cries on the floor in front of the chair.

So, woo-hoo! Kudos to the author! Of course, this won’t solve all my problems with him, but it’s a start. He will start school this week (back to the public school – yikes), so I have no idea if it will help his behavior, but I’m hopeful!

I’m not trying to preach to any other parents out there, but just to say that this book addressed a lot of the little questions that bothered my about ADHD treatment. So if you have those little questions too, read the book and let me know what you think.

And of course I’m going to keep giving him high protein breakfasts, and no chocolate, and praying for him, and such. (Doesn’t every child need all of that?) And monitoring him to make sure he's not feeling depressed, talking to his teacher, and involving him in high energy activities. I’ll let you know how public school goes.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Nathan Finch and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ritalin.

I am 32 years old. Have been on Ritalin for 2 years now. This drug has saved my life. I have seen drastic differences between times in my life when I was taking it and when I was not. I failed out of one school and graduated top of my class in the next. Floated from job to job and then became very successful. I don't like the way I feel when I am taking it (I'm boring -- no personality) so, I time my doses to help me in the office or when I have to focus on mundane task's at home like paying bills, taxes etc. and then go without it when I'm recreating.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Initially some apatite suppression, insomnia and slight gitters. This was corrected by reducing my afternoon dose.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Nathan Finch

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great post.I think it will be very usefull to us. I read it but I need some thing more to know about this

Buy Ritalin Online

7:04 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Information will be very necessary and useful for me. I appreciate deeply your doing so much for me and us.
Buy Ritalin UK
Buy Ritalin Online
Order Ritalin

3:56 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

Ritalin Buy

7:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity to get access to information and articles. Thank you in sharing this info...

Buy Ritalin UK

5:49 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You are simply the best @the writer i really love your post keep the fire blazing.. Thanks For This post check them Out once am short of content on my Blog.

Buy Ritalin

7:33 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

How to buy RITALIN in your region? You can Buy RITALIN online right now! Our special and Best offers within all online shops.

5:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home