Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Difference Model

Am reading a very interesting article about autism and how scientists are looking at it differently: "This movement is being fueled by a small but growing cadre of neuropsychological researchers who are taking a fresh look at the nature of autism itself. The condition, they say, shouldn't be thought of as a disease to be eradicated. It may be that the autistic brain is not defective but simply different — an example of the variety of human development. "
From: http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-03/ff_autism?currentPage=1

I've read a lot of material in which people think ADHD is a very mild form of autism - or at least in the same family. ADHD is primarly about social acceptance and the willingness by people to conform to social norms.

I keep asking myself, "is that really so important? Who defines the social norms?"

Our society, and probably most societies, consider conformance to social norms the greatest goal of education. However, our geniuses, Einstein, Picasso, Thomas Edison, Benjamin Franklin, and I would argue Ted Turner (not that I admire him but I think he is a business genius) etc, eschewed social norms. I wonder that if by focusing on the conformance of ADHD children, we are missing out on their strengths, so much so, that eventually, those strengths are hidden for a lifetime. And we've lost another great creative mind.

I'm not proposing any type of institutional solution. I don't think our public school system can adequately serve the needs of these children. I think the solution lies in us as parents training our children that they are created by God, they've been gifted with certain strengths, and they need to develop strengths, all while obeying God's laws, but not necessariliy conforming to societal expectations. They need to be taught that not everyone appreciates their differences, but God does, and they just need to hang low for awhile until they are at the point in their life in which they can use their strengths to serve humanity. Because if they hang-on, they will get their chance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

This is such good stuff. I SO agree. I don't know how to achieve it in the real world, of course, that's the tricky part, but I agree 100%. Not everyone thinks the same, but that doesn't mean the majority of people are thinking CORRECTLY and the others are thinking and processing things INCORRECTLY.

1:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the ages were 9,6,and 3

6:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ithought the ages where 9,6,and 3 too

5:03 PM

 
Blogger Rachel said...

I thought the ages were 8,6, and 3

5:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home