Musings of a mom... with three very different, but wonderful children... primarily talking about ADHD related stuff... but could talk about anything.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Organic, Gluten-free, sugar-free craziness

OK, so there is advice everywhere for kids with ADHD! E-very-where. But that's ok, I'm open to advice. Here's a sampling:
** he needs medication
** medication is bad
** home schooling is the only way to go
** needs a sugar free diet
** it's the red dye
** he should tough it out
** it's a discipline problem
** go to GNC
** gluten-free
** he'll grow out of it

So what's a confused mom to do? ALL OF THEM!!! Well, not quite all, but this is what I'm doing:

1. I'm restricting sugar, buying organic, restricting wheat and any processed foods (kind of following this guy's advice: http://www.oneaddplace.com/adhd-diet.php). I haven't tried the coffee shake yet - sounds interesting! I'm amazed at the world of food choices out there. My local grocery store has tons of organic, gluten free, no added sugar stuff. Simply amazed. And so many recipes online. My grocery bill so far is about double, but I figure that' s a lot cheaper than drugs and visits to the dr. office. And once I get to be a smarter shopper, it will be cheaper.

2. Giving him an anti-oxident drink thingy (this is my husband's idea): http://www.monavie.com/

3. Giving him cod liver oil. This is per GNC. They say it helps connect the neurotransmitters in the brain, which is one thought of what causes ADHD - broken neurotransmitters. Parents have been giving it to kids for hundreds of years so I figure it can't hurt! He doesn't know what it is, it looks like little round pills and tastes like strawberry: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2188179&cp&sr=1&origkw=nordic&kw=nordic&parentPage=search

4. Found a new school for him. It's a local Christian school with only 5 kids in his class!!! And his teacher has 30 years experience (you have to love your job if you've been doing it that long) and has a very tight reign on the class. Lots of class participation stuff, so he's not off on his own making trouble.

5. Of course, still praying for him! Not praying that it will be taken away, but that he can function, and God will use his uniqueness for a good purpose.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mommy Daisy said...

I think this is a great place to start. Don't get too overwhelmed, but I'm sure these changes will help. And I'm so glad that you found a good school that you're happy with so quickly.

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I would definitely say to give those things a try before going the medication route! I think he's doing great!

9:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home